Sunday, July 17, 2011

Installing Linux on Virtual Machines



If you have not started using virtual machines yet well then, your missing the boat. Virtual machines develop a virtual computer within your computer or laptop. You can actually configure simply how much memory buy therefore how high of your disc drive you may need. This brilliant if that you're running Or windows 7 then you can definitely experience Vista while XP is running. The virtual machines be working as real computer receiving their own individual ip numerous experts utilize them a servers. This helps double power of your respective hardware. Virtual machines do suck up plenty of memory and that means you need to have at a minimum a gig of memory.

I used several linux distos's on Virtual PC and Vmware and located some interesting tips. The first distro I often went was Damm Small Linux on Virtual PC 2007 I installed virtual PC 2007 thereafter developed the virtual machine with the default options with 256mb of memory. When i started the virtual machine clicked on the CD tab selecting Capture ISO image after which you can I watched Damm Small Linux boot. To my surprise everything worked be default, I'd been now running Damm Small linux virtual machine with-in my winows xp laptop, cool. I could talk with the network both wired and wireless. Now Incredibly more Ubuntu and Backtrack linux. I did the very same config every machine sticking with the same result, I'm able to not purchase the mouse to be effective. Not sure precisely what the problem was but I'm knew to presenting VM's.

Now I am choosing for you to use Vmwares Vmplayer, I soon discovered you'll want to generate a virtual machine for those player. So through some internet research I came across a unique approach is freely over the easy vmx website, type easy vmx on the internet decide the simple one. I select the generic linux OS and entered the specific ISO image, website was Backtrack. You might want to place that ISO inside same folder the fact that vmx file is positioned. So then was over I began my virtual machine and every one thing worked except the wireless card. Now this might be thanks to me to be a newbie rather than finding out how in order to an invisible card on the VM. I had an identical result with Ubuntu and Damm Small linux.

Vmware has numerous tools so you might create and configure your VM although the down side happens because will not be free. Virtual PC 2007 is free of charge however it generally have less functionality for linux. Give it a try and twice the power on your pc today.

.